It’s been a frustrating month for HTML5 watchers. We’ve seen the table summary and image alt text become second class citizens. So to keep the spirits up we’ve found some happy stories on the net. Look for great rap tunes by 50 Tyson and Kessy. Beethoven’s Nightmare is the first deaf hard rock group. Paralympic Katy Sullivan battles a snuggie and Baks the blind dog finds a helpful guide goose.
- BBC – Ouch! – Social networking, the disabled view
What do we know about social networks and how they help blind people to be who they are? Well, find out for yourself
- The Librarian: See What I’m Saying (2010)
The Yahoo! Accessibility Librarian suggests that you watch the documentary, “See What I’m Saying”
- Improving Web Searching for People with Cognitive Disabilities
This article shows how web searches can be more productive for people with cognitive disabilities by simplifying and adding spelling correction analysis.
- HTML5 Accessibility Chops: the alt decision
Important read for developers. Steve Faulkner provides a rational analysis of seemingly irrational decisions made about HTML5′s future.
- Accessible DVDs for Sale
A growing number of mainstream movies and programs that originally aired on PBS are being released on DVD with descriptive narration and captioning. Most of the movies are also available on Blu-ray with access features.
- Beethoven’s Nightmare, the only deaf band in the world
Watch their story in the documentary See What I’m Saying
- Sydney sex worker talks about working with clients with disabilities
This article discusses the personal needs of people with disabilities from the perspective of a sex worker in Australia. It is more clinical than salacious.
- Kessy is Back
Caution this song will make you dance Check out Kessy! He sings, beatboxes, and plays piano… oh yeah and he’s blind
- Boy Denied First Communion Because Of Disability – Disability Scoop
A Texas woman is outraged after she says her 8-year-old grandson was denied the opportunity to participate in a religious milestone all because he has a developmental disability.
- 50 Tyson – “Icy” Music Video feat. Nerdy Star
50 Tyson is a rapper who happens to have autism. He’s got a record contract and his Youtube videos are generating plenty of attention.
- Selfish disabled people use their own parking passes…don’t they know we…
What do you think about people who wrongfully use disabled parking permits?
- HTML5, ARIA Roles, and Screen Readers in March 2011
Screen reader + Browser interactions with HTML5 and ARIA revisited.
- Pig Tails in a Blanket
Paralympian Katy Sullivan can conquer anything…. except the snuggie.
- The etnies & Autism Speaks Collection
Step out in style with Etnie’s special edition shoes to support Autism Speaks
- Open Marketplace Launched For Assistive Technology Ideas
This project would allow people to explain what they need and facilitate future solutions.
- Buttons the goose looks after Baks the blind dog
Baks, the blind dog, has a seeing eye goose. How cute is that?
- Brain-Computer Interfaces for Communication and Control
ACM’s article summarizes research which provides access to those completely paralyzed. Brain activity is used to generate computer interactions.
- Sendero Online Store: Sendero GPS LookAround
This inexpensive iPhone app provides location specific information. It’s also designed to be completely accessible and works in many countries. We tested it at CSUN.
Tags: alt, Autism, Deaf, HTML5, longdesc, music, summary, W3C